Saturday, May 12, 2012

Personal Experiences

While I was at Space Camp this week, I had a few experiences of my own.  All just by happenstance.  And I was so glad that I had my camera with me to record them.  I thought that I would share them with you.

 Witnessing the Space and Rocket Center crew at work

One morning while looking for my kids, I was misdirected to the opposite side of the campus.  And though I didn't find them until about an hour later, I was able to watch as the USSRC crew moved one of the rockets out of the museum over to the Davidson Center.  They were rearranging to make room to be able to set up a new exhibit on Mammoths and Mastodons.  You might want to check it out once they have it set up.


 I followed this truck around to the Davidson Center from the back of the museum and watched as they backed it up to this big loading door.  I wondered where they would put it because the Davidson Center didn't appear to have much room.  If you didn't go over there, it is where the Saturn V rocket is located.  It is laying down and the sections extend the length of the building.  All around the walls are other rocket items on exhibit.  I really couldn't tell how they were going to carry this rocket in because the crane they had looked too tall to me.

They turned the crane around and lowered the chains to attach to the rocket.  I stood and watched this for a while as curious as the students would have been.  But it looked like this was going to take a while and because I was already way off schedule, I left before they finished this process. 

However, I was pleased to see where the rocket had finally been moved when I returned later with a group to learn about the Apollo missions.  As you can see, it has been neatly tucked under the engines of the Saturn V.  I still think that must have been a little tricky, but that's why it is their job and not mine. 

Rabbit Siting at Dusk

One evening, about dusk, I was walking back to the hotel.  This route took me just behind the Habitat (the students' dorm) past a large grassy area that leads to a wooded area behind the campus and the hotel. 
I spotted a little rabbit out having his evening supper and managed to get a few shots.  See if you can spot him.

Rabbit center - just dashing behind limbs

Almost out of site in this photo - center, but far to the back.  I guess I had disturbed him enough in trying to photograph him and he was ready to be rid of me. 

Sunset 

Space Camp Sunset



And thank you to all of you who trusted me to accompany your children on this week long learning expedition.  I am honored.

No comments:

Post a Comment